Back To School Banner

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Home school Begins

I'm a stay at home Mom with four wonderful boys, a wonderful Husband, one wonderful little blond boy I babysit 5 days a week, one wonderful dog and two not so wonderful bunnies.....oh and I make specialty cakes from home.  What is the next logical step in this equation? Home school of course.  Yesterday was the first day of home schooling my oldest, Dalton, he's 10yrs old and in 5th grade. A friend of mine suggested I start a blog to share our experience as we go along.  I will also have my son add some entries of his own to give you homeschooling from his perspective.  So I hope everyone enjoys whether you are fellow home schoolers, prospective home schoolers, or just nosy friends and family:-)
Lessons Learned by Mom -Day 1
Lesson #1 - Just because I am now the "teacher" doesn't mean he will listen any better then he did when I was just the "Mom"
Lesson#2- My 5th grader is probably smarter then me

Lessons Learned by Dalton Day 1
Lesson #1-  Even though it's home school I still have to do work
Lesson#2- I thought my Mom was smarter then she actually is

All in all day one went incredibly smooth.  Dalton flew through his work, loved his erupting volcano Science experiment and thrived on the one on one time spent with me.  All four of the younger kiddos roaming through my house behaved fairly well and David (my Husband) came home to a only semi disastrous house.  Day 1=Outstanding Success

Today was Day 2....
Lessons Learned by Mom Day 2
Lesson #1- Day 1 was a teaser day!!

Lessons Learned by Dalton Day 2
Lesson #1- Day 1 was a teaser day!!

So this group of assignments came complete with bookwork, worksheets, tests and tons of Math problems that I've never seen anything like before.  Who knew homeschooling my 5th grader meant I would have to home school myself also.  We made it through the required 4 hours complete with reading back over EVERYTHING and several snarled "Why don't you know this?" directed towards each other.  I was down my extra kiddo since I had took the next two days off to prepare for our vacation starting Saturday,  not that it mattered because my 3 youngest were more then happy to make up for his absence.  Oh and I had a emergency cake order that came in late last night that needed to be completed in the mist of all of this.  So the smoothness of Day 1 has long been forgotten but I knew this wasn't going to be easy.  Day 2=We survived and we're proud of it!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Welcome to homeschooling! Your extra kid seems to be my little cousin (I'm Stefanie's cousin). Anyway, I've been homeschooling my kids for just about forever (the eldest is a 9th grader and they've never been in school), so if you want to chat, feel free to give a holler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! Thanks for the welcome. She told me she had a cousin that homechooled. I'm sure I will be needing some helpful advice soon :)

    ReplyDelete