Back To School Banner

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Handprint Saltdough Santa Ornaments......

This was a last minute part of our day.  I saw the idea on an online homeschool group that I love and just had to try it!!  It didn't turn out exactly like the original picture but we love them:-)  I tried saltdough ornaments last year and the dough was a complete fail, so I was excited to try out the new recipe.  It worked great!!!

Saltdough Recipe

1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup water (or a little less)

I doubled the recipe and we had absolutely no trouble, I did sprinkle some flour on the table surface before rolling the dough out.  First, you take each hand and push down making a impression of the handprint. then you cut around the outside of the impression with a knife.  Next, you make a hole in the top in order for the ribbon later so it can be hung.  Then bake them at 200 degrees for 3 hours.  After they cooled we painted them.  I'm going to seal them with homemade modge podge but a spray clear coat or something would work as well.

Homemade Modge Podge

1/2 Elmer's white glue
1/2 water



We loved this craft plus we had enough dough left to cut out additional ornaments with cookie cutters that we can paint later:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment